Welcome back to another day of my challenge to only buy produce. Today marks the halfway point of my challenge. It’s going lots better than I had expected. My cravings are getting less and less and I find it surprisingly easy to decide what to eat. Honestly, the food I have missed most so far is tofu.
Today I started my day with a drink. I grabbed myself a glass of kombucha and I made a pitcher or lemon and cucumber water. The kombucha I drank right away, the water I drank throughout the morning.
I wasn’t really hungry this morning, so I started with a banana. I had a second one later.
For lunch I had the last of the Japanese curry, but I didn’t feel like rice, so I grabbed two flatbreads from the freezer instead.
For dinner we had wraps with seitan, beans, sweetcorn and fresh veggies. Honestly after eating so much flatbread the packaged tortillas were really dissapointing. The seitan was surprisingly ok though, after eating meat again.
Then after dinner the order I mentioned at the start of this challenge finally arrived. Well, most of it at least. Some of the fresh noodles, one of the things I was looking forward to most, were missing. It did include a letter saying I’d get the money back and which products it involved, but nothing more than that. I guess they were out of stock, but I’m a bit bummed out they didn’t just send them later and instead did this without even contacting me or even so much as an actual explanation. But other than that the stuff looks great and I look forward to digging in.
I mostly got stuff they don’t have at the local Asian food shop. This is what (in no particular order):
- A lot of fried tofu puffs, the local Asian food shop sold these briefly and they are SO good!
- Fresh noodles (1 of the 3 types I got did arrive)
- Fresh rice cakes
- Salted black beans. I expected this to be a paste, but I guess it will do.
- Fish cake
- Very soft silken tofu
- A bulk pack of garlic powder
- Gochugaru (Korean spicy red pepper flakes)
- Fish sauce
- Dashi powder
- Tapioca pearls for boba tea
- A bulk pack of instant noodles. I’m not familiar with the brand, so I hope they’re good
- A piece of spekkoek. Spekkoek is it’s Dutch name, I believe it’s originally Indonesian, where it is called lapis legit. I think in English it’s called thousand layer cake.
The last I cut in half and ate my half and saved the other half for my girlfriend. Fangorn seemed to be very interested in it too, but too bad for him, he’s not getting any. I definitely want to try making this myself again. I once made an attempt with my crappy microwave oven that wasn’t half bad, so with my proper oven I should definitely be able to do it.
That was it for today. In the next week there will probably be a lot of Japanese and Korean (inspired) dishes, so stay tuned if you would like to see that. See you then!